I was with this band at the same time I was in SID, as well as a cover band in Indiana. I was balancing three different bands at the time, and even tried out for a Christian rock band that needed a bass player. I don’t think they liked me as a person very well haha Oh well, probably for the better anyway.
About this band, it came around kinda weird. I lived next door to the guitar player, and SID practiced in my basement. Well, the neighbor heard us play one day, and said I should come check them out next door when they practice. I hadn’t even heard them jam from outside, so I had no clue there was a band next door to me! So, one night when they were getting ready to practice, they come next door (the guitar player and drummer), and say that their bass player wasn’t going to be there. They asked if I wanted to fill in for the night, so I said, “Sure, I’ll give it a shot.”
Well, they loved my playing I guess, because they asked me if I wanted to be the new bass player haha They were having problems getting the other guy to show up for practice, so they decided to just have me come in and play. I felt kinda weird about it, but just went with the flow. About a month later, the drummer decided he didn’t like the midwest, and moved back to Arizona. He has since been semi-successful with his band EnmityEnmity on Myspace. The original vocalist they had, Krusty, stopped playing then, too. So it was just Josh (the guitar player) and me : P
The next thing I know, the original bass player wanted to do some death metal drumming. We figured, “Why not, it’ll keep us playing!” We jammed a few times like that, and asked our buddy Nate to do vocals, to which he decided he would. That is the line up in these recordings; Josh, Mike, Nate, and I.
Note that these recordings are HORRIBLE. They were captured with a handheld recorder, and you can’t even hear the bass drum parts in the songs. It’s also hard to hear my bass in alot of it, too. Still, I want to have it on here, just because. If you don’t know these songs (which most of you won’t), then you probably won’t be able to make out most of what’s going on haha Oh, and I don’t remember any of the names of the songs. Hopefully I’ll run into Josh in the near future so he can fill in the blanks for me. For now, it’s Track 01, Track 02, etc and so on.
- Track 01(1:52)
- I’m fairly sure this is the first song that I learned with these guys. Josh put a Return of the Living Dead clip at the beginning of it when he was transferring them all from tape to disc haha It’s pretty funny.
- Track 02 (2:30)
- I remember when I was learning this one, I referred to it as song 2. I got to include some slapping on one of the parts in the song. It’s not alot of variation or anything, but really made the bass chunk up during said part. It happens twice, and one of them is at the end of the tune.
- Track 03 (2:43)
- This song tore the hell out of my left hand fingers. Josh did some kind of sliding thing on one of the riffs, and I clearly remember having sore fingers after we practiced this song. They would be all red and irritated and owwy-like.
- Track 04 (2:05)
- This song was pretty fun to play. There’s this part just before the hardcore breakdown where I go super high on the neck. It sounds kinda neat with the death metal. I also got a second in the song where it’s just bass, so that was sorta neat-o.
- Track 05 (2:24)
- This song was a PAIN to play. There was some stretching I had to do with my left hand that was pretty tough to pull off. It’s funny, I never had too much trouble doing the speed of my right fingers to keep up, but my left hand had to work alot more.
- Track 06 (2:21)
- This was extremely fun! I got to do some high notes while Josh was doing some guitar screams. I also got to get rhythmic on my bass, and really make the bass part stand out kinda snare-drummish. After that snippet, Mike played the snare drum like I just played the bass. It blended really well. This song has a very Slayer-esque sound at the end.
- Track 07 (2:44)
- This song was a big speed fest for the right fingers on some parts. It made me feel awesome every time we played it haha I also got to do another bass by itself part. They said, just drop it slooooow, so I did. I think we eventually ended up grooving that last part out a little longer, but I can’t remember.
- Track 08 (2:15)
- This is another one where I did some high bass notes with Josh’s guitar screams. That started to become something that I would do alot with him. There’s this really cool part I do on the bass, but it’s hard to hear it. I’m pretty high on the neck and work it down with Josh. Damn recording equipment (or lack thereof, in this case).
- Track 09 (2:54)
- Josh does some backups on this song. Nate is doing his usual thing, and every now and then you’ll hear Josh come in with a throaty, “EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE” haha It’s great : D
- Track 10 (2:03)
- I don’t think I had learned this song yet, so if there’s any bass on it, it’s probably me just jumping in on parts that I did know at the time.
- Track 11 (2:32)
- This had a riff with the same kind of stretch in it as on Track 05. If you listen to the main riff of the song, during Josh’s scream, I do some high pitched bass sound. That was pretty fun. I’m not sure if it really fit with the song, but, what the hell, eh?
- Track 12 (2:20)
- I don’t even remember this song. It’s hard to tell, but I might be playing on some parts. Maybe it was another one I was learning at the time. I do hear more Josh, “EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE”s going on though haha